Rose Bud senior sets national record
The Associated Press
October 29, 2008
ROSE BUD J.D. Felice caught two dozen passes in one game - and that wasn't even his most amazing stat.
The Rose Bud senior also set a national record with 421 yards receiving last Friday night, and although his team lost to England 64-55, Felice earned himself and his small town some national attention. He is also, obviously, The Associated Press Arkansas High School Player of the Week.
"Even now, I'm still realizing how big of a deal it is," Felice said of his performance. "I knew I was having a good game when I came in at halftime and I had 12 catches, I think, and 238 yards."
Felice finished the game with six touchdowns - five receiving and one running.
"He kept making plays every time we threw it out there," coach Steve Rose said. "We'd throw him a screen and he'd turn it into a 40-yard touchdown, and we'd throw him an out route, and he'd turn it into 25 yards."
John Gillis, assistant directo! r of the National Federation of State High School Associations, confirmed that a spot in the record book is being reserved for Felice.
"He has the national record, pending the normal verification process," Gillis said. "We have an application form that we send out to the school, and they complete it. And then they in turn send it to the governing body in that state ... along with some sort of documentation."
Felice's older brother Joshua is in the Army, but he was home last week when J.D. played the game of his life.
"He's doing really good in the Army, and I was doing good in football," J.D. Felice said. "This game happened, he's proud of me, everybody's proud of me. It's just been amazing."
Other top performances from the week:
- Michael Dyer, Little Rock Christian, ran for 237 yards and four touchdowns in a 45-30 win over Hot Springs Lakeside.
- Pierre Vaughn, Nashville, threw for 415 yards and seven touchdowns in a 52-13 win over Waldro! n.
- LaDarius Eckwood, Springdale, caught 10 passes for 106 yards and scored three touchdowns in a 59-28 win over Rogers Heritage.
- Franco Broyles, Fayetteville, stopped Rogers' Austin Young just short of the end zone on a 2-point conversion to preserve a 31-29 win.
- Tim Hughes, Batesville, rushed for 200 yards and three touchdowns in a 36-0 win over Blytheville.
- Elvyonne Bailey, Brinkley, ran for 233 yards in a 30-15 win over Little Rock Episcopal.
- DiMaggio Johnson, Texarkana, ran for 128 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-6 win over Watson Chapel.
- Christopher Giles, Little Rock Parkview, rushed for 172 yards and two touchdowns in a 21-6 win over Jacksonville.
- Terrence Heaggans, Morrilton, threw for 307 yards in a 39-24 win over Greenbrier.
- Johnny Lemeke, Wynne, ran for 182 yards in a 52-34 victory over Paragould.
- Jaalen Watkins, Central Arkansas Christian, ran for 177 yards and three touchdowns in a 29-20 win over Vilonia.
- Chase Foster, Camden Fairview, threw for 322 yards and f! our touchdowns in a 44-7 win over Hope.
- Jessie Grandy, Dollarway, rushed for 167 yards and a touchdown and threw for two TDs in a 49-14 win over Hamburg.
- Savion Gilbert, Warren, threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns in a 50-21 win over McGehee.
- Royce Smith, Bald Knob, caught four passes for 136 yards in a 14-7 win over Clinton.
- Tim Johnson, Pulaski Oak Grove, ran for 182 yards and three touchdowns in a 34-21 win over Arkadelphia
- Dominick Carter, Lake Village, ran for 300 yards in a 24-21 loss to Star City.
- Ryan Herron, Mountain Pine, threw for four touchdowns in a 56-14 win over Little Rock Lutheran.
- Clay Hart, Hoxie, ran for 108 yards and four touchdowns in a 35-14 win over Earle.
- Kiedarian Ross, Junction City, rushed for 150 yards in a 37-6 win over Strong.
- Trey Brown, Bigelow, scored three touchdowns in a 47-0 win over Hector.
- Ricky Brown, Bearden, ran for 129 yards in a 46-28 win over Woodlawn.
- Tony Burks, Smackover, intercepted two passes in the last 40 secon ds of a 21-12 win over Hermitage.
- Alvin Nelson, West Memphis, ran for three touchdowns in a 48-14 win over Mountain Home.
- Carter Callahan, Jonesboro, threw for five touchdowns in a 45-9 win over Searcy.
- Keyshawn Devereaux, Magnolia, caught four passes for 98 yards in a 27-7 win over Pulaski Robinson.
- Jordan Dycus, Mayflower, threw for 282 yards and five touchdowns in a 52-7 win over Barton.
- Blake Childress, Bauxite, rushed for 146 yards and three touchdowns in a 33-0 win over Bismarck.
- Matt Lincoln, Harding Academy, threw for 254 yards and four touchdowns in a 47-7 win over Riverview.
- J.R. Hart, Carlisle, threw for four touchdowns in a 44-14 win over Palestine-Wheatley.