Defending MaxPreps Cup champion Bentonville is in a tie for second place in the 2014-15 standings through the fall sports.
Raleigh (N.C.) Cardinal Gibbons is in the lead with 628 points, while Bentonville and Carmel, Ind., both have 580 points. Hindsdale (Ill.) Central and Sioux Falls (S.D) Lincoln round out the top five with 530 and 468 points, respectively.
The MaxPreps Cup standings are tabulated by ranking all schools that win a state championship or finish second at the state (or section level if there is no state competition) finals. Not all sports are recognized in these standings.
Points are also weighted, giving more points to states that have a high number of schools as well as more points to schools that compete in larger enrollment divisions. Sports are also weighted differently, where those sports with higher participation — such as football and basketball — receive more points than sports like golf and tennis.
Bentonville earned its points with state championships in boys tennis, girls tennis, girls cross country, football and volleyball, as well as a runnerup finish in boys cross country and girls golf. It will add to its point total through winter sports with state titles in boys and girls swimming and its boys basketball team reaching the Class 7A state championship game.
Cardinal Gibbons won six state titles in the fall: boys soccer, boys and girls cross country, volleyball, girls golf and girls tennis. Carmel won state titles in girls cross country and volleyball while had runnerup finishes in boys tennis, boys cross country, football and girls soccer.
The top 25 schools in the MaxPreps Cup standings are as follows:
1. Cardinal Gibbons (Raleigh, N.C.) – 628
2. Bentonville (Ark.) – 580
2. Carmel (Ind.) – 580
4. Hinsdale Central (Ill.) – 530
5. Lincoln (Sioux Falls, S.D.) – 468
6. Webb (Knoxville, Tenn.) – 466
7. Aquinas (Overland Park, Kan.) – 445
8. Wayzata (Plymouth, Minn.) – 434
9. Bolles (Jacksonville, Fla.) – 390
10. St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) – 386
11. St. Paul’s Episcopal (Mobile, Ala.) – 384
12. American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.) – 380
13. Desert Vista (Phoenix) – 354
13. Rio Rancho (N.M.) – 354
13. La Salle Academy (Providence, R.I.) – 354
16. Immaculate Heart Academy (Washington Township, N.J.) – 350
17. River Hill (Clarksville, Md.) – 348
18. Central Catholic (Portland, Ore.) – 336
18. Riverside (Greer, S.C.) – 336
20. Jenks (Okla.) – 332
21. Arrowhead (Hartland, Wis.) – 326
22. Olathe East (Kan.) – 324
23. Red Bank Catholic (N.J.) – 322
24. Brentwood (Tenn.) – 310
25. Fayetteville-Manlius (Manlius, N.Y.) – 298